Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's all the fuss about?

I've been asking myself this eternally baffling question alot the last little bit (besides Did Elvis really die? Where IS Amelia Earheart? Where is Atlantis and who made the Bimini Road?)

How do I manage being: wife, mother, professional, cook, seamstress, closet cleaner-outer, friend, aunt, daughter, sister, laundry mistress and still have time to be Lori?
You know, don't get me wrong - I LOVE being a mother and wife. But as a woman, I often feel forgotten. I feel overlooked, underappreciated. I am too tired in the mornings to do anything besides throw on clothes and half-way dry my hair. Makeup? Got it. Put it on? Forget about it.
Where are the days of hair gel, long showers, lotion on my legs? Or the days of buying myself new underwear instead of pull-ups for The Boy?
Prime example of a wife/mother's deep love: I got The Hubs a PS3 last year for Christmas with the understand that this year's big gift would go to me! And alas! We're going to Disney in February so we're forgoing Christmas gifts for each other! So, no new pots and pans. No new jeans. No new baubles.
But I'm okay with that. Because this morning I watched the two most spectacular people in the world cuddle in bed and watch Dinosaur Train. And in the evenings, when I'm all worn out and just want 5 minutes of Lori time? Well, I hear, 'Mommy? Mommy? Wuv ou.'
And then I smile and say with complete energy and unreserved love:

I love you, too, baby.

1 comment: